Our Visiting Volunteers program brings friendship into the lives of isolated elders through regular in-home visits. Volunteers are matched with elders who receive our Visiting and Advocacy Services, taking care that the match is based on common interests, personality and geography. Visits most often occur in the elder’s home, but can include running errands, going out for coffee and conversation, or perhaps attending an LBFE activity or community event together. This special relationship can evolve over time, and often develops into a lifelong friendship.
Become a Visiting Volunteer.
A Visiting Volunteer’s responsibilities include:
- Visiting your elder friend twice a month for a minimum of one year – or for as long as a lifetime.
- Acting as a liaison between your elder friend and LBFE by reporting any concerns about health and well-being to your program coordinator.
- Following the policies of LBFE.
- Respecting confidentiality regarding the elder.
- Demonstrating commitment, reliability and responsibility.
- Providing feedback, suggestions, and recommendations to appropriate LBFE staff concerning the effectiveness of the Visiting Volunteer Program.
- Informing the program coordinator or volunteer services manager if you are unable to continue volunteer duties.
The benefits of being a Visiting Volunteer include:
- Gratification in knowing that the isolation of an elder has been relieved.
- New friendships and sharing new experiences.
- Experience in the field of aging.
- New or enhanced skills and abilities.
- Attendance at LBFE celebrations, activities and workshops.
- Free monthly newsletters, ongoing training and support.
- Desire to enhance the well-being of elders.
- Sensitivity to the needs of lonely and isolated elders facing difficult life experiences.
- Effective communications skills.
- Ability to make commitments and follow through.
- Flexibility and an open mind to diversity.
- 1 ½-hour orientation and basic training
- Six hours per month
- Minimum commitment of one year
Still have questions? Contact the Volunteer Manager at email@example.com or 612.746.0732.